What’s in this email
1) USAPA Update
2) Summer Court Repairs and Court Closures
3) PB Club Election Committee
4) Food Bank
1) Two of our Club members, Marlene Berwald and Sharon Navratil, attended the first USAPA Ambassador Retreat held June 8-12th in Lake Tahoe, CA with 130 other representatives from across the U.S. They asked if we would share the latest newsletter. The newsletter contains the latest information from the USAPA in a condensed version and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
> The first USAPA Open Championship will be held in Naples Marco Island, FL April 2016. Justin Maloof (USAPA Executive Director) informed us that the games will be televised by the US Tennis Association (USTA) on the Tennis channel! Justin has been forming strong relationship with the USTA in light of the pickleball explosion in recent years, here are a few of the current statistics he shared.
- USAPA membership has increased 102% since Jan. 1, 2013
- Membership is predicted to be close to or more that 10,000 by the end of 2015.
- That number of members puts pickleball on par with the USA Racquetball membership.
- For the first time the Sports & Fitness Industry Association (SFIA) Participant Report, reflected that pickleball currently has 2.4 million players!
> How do we change to come in line with the USTA?
- Starting on Jan. 1, 2016 USAPA membership will be MANDATORY to participate in ANY sanctioned tournaments.
- Secure large corporate sponsors, donations and grants.
- Grow the USAPA Brand; they published the first USAPA Book called “Pickleball Fundamentals” published by Human Kinetics.
- Product licensing, paddles, balls, etc.
- Official Court Partners, ex. California Court Surfaces
- Continue to grow and improve tournaments.
- Require Referee Training and Certification.
- Require Coaching Training Certification.
> Formal training for tournament directors.
> Did you know that there are now 3,260 pickleball court locations in the U.S. and that number grows at an average of 76 new locations per month?
> Rule revisions were shared see the latest on the USAPA.org.
> Did you know that the USAPA-IFP Referee Handbook and how to run a tournament is available on the USAPA.org website?
> Did you know that 2015 is the 50th anniversary of pickleball’s inception?
2) During these summer months we are working closely with the CAM staff to make repairs to the courts, fencing etc. Today, July 8th, after normal play is over, staff will be welding the fence pole that was broke between courts 6 and 7. Saturday, July 11th Court 2 will be closed all day for repair and resurfacing. If you are aware of any repairs that need to be made please contact Bob Ellis VP email@example.com .
3) The Election committee, lead by Sharon Navratil, Sharon.firstname.lastname@example.org is looking for 2 more volunteers to help recruit candidates for the upcoming PB Board elections this fall. If you are interested in being a candidate please contact Sharon.
4) St. Mary’s Food Bank. Currently there are 5 Club members helping the Food Bank on Monday morning’s make lunches to approximately 3,000-4000 hungry kids. They could use a few more volunteers on Monday’s. The work is easy, from 7:00am to about 9-9:30am, depending on the number of volunteers that show up, it’s the coolest time of the day and it is certainly rewarding. If you would like to help out please email Bob Ellis at the same email above.
Wishing everyone a safe and healthy summer. Stay hydrated!
President SCG Pickleball Club